March 5, 2020
Update on Safeway (Sobeys) negotiations
As reported on February 20, the union is preparing for a Final Offer Selection arbitration with Sobeys regarding the Safeway contract. (No date is yet set for Final Offer Selection arbitration to take place.)
Recent developments in mediation hearings between UFCW Local 1518 and Sobeys are likely to have an impact on UFCW 247’s positions. UFCW Local 1518 and Sobeys have now agreed that effective March 22:
- The top three performing stores - Store 4966 (Broadway and Commercial), Store 4968 (Sardis) and Store 4912 (Langley Fraser Crossing) will move from Appendix B to Appendix A effective March 22, 2020.
- ALL full time Grid A employees in these stores shall accumulate ATO and shall be scheduled ATO as per Section 5.02 and 5.03 of the Safeway collective agreement.
- ALL part time Grid A employees shall return to the either part time Grid A rate of pay as outlined in Section 10.06, 10.11 and 10.12 of the Safeway collective agreement.
- the employer shall pay 100% of the hourly Grid B benefit contributions outlined in Section 13.01 of the Safeway collective agreement.
- the employer shall pay 100% of the Health, Safety and Education contributions outlined in Section 21 of the Safeway collective agreement.
- Employees in the stores outlined in point 1 who have opted to take the ATO buy out will continue to have the option to work a 36 hour work week (4×9 hr shifts) until the expiry of the Memorandum of Agreement on December 31, 2021.
- The amended Clerks Work Clause outlined in the Special Officer's Award dated December 19, 2018 shall until continue to apply until December 31, 2021.
A reminder that the above points are the outcome of a mediation session between UFCW Local 1518 and Sobeys.
UFCW Local 247 will be meeting with legal counsel to discuss these developments as preparations for Final Offer Selection with Sobeys continues.
Further updates will be posted on the union’s website as they become available.